Saturday, February 20, 2010

Links to Lovely Ladies Too


Ok so I am plagiarizing the same title from Band-Babe but thought I would change the Blogger Award just a bit. I too have seen my name in quite a few of the blogs I follow so thanks to everyone for your kind nominations and comments. I have sprinkled this post with a few links so click on the red words. Like many of you, I couldn’t narrow down a list of fav blogs so have a look at the side of my blog under Blogger List for my entire nomination list.

I decided that the inspiration and support for working with the band came from all of you “veterans” and “newbies” and I can hardly express my gratitude when you leave a word or two in comments. It was so exciting for me when I saw my Followers List grow. I thought I would do a shout-out (like lovely Debi and Cara from The Dash). And I can't leave out Carmen who keeps me in stitches. Oh fooey, I love you all! I chose the following blogs as they have only a few followers (in most cases, less than 20) and I know they would love to see your support and comments.

Leslie (Massachusetts, USA) has been working with the band since August 2009 with her hubby who is also banded. http://bandsweetband.blogspot.com/

Fitness Bandit (Australia) has been banded for over a year and has a goal to run a half marathon this year. Also loves wine (like me!). http://banditfitness.blogspot.com/

Epiphany (Australia) was recently banded on February 15th, 2010. We’re doing this together. http://gastriclapbandjourney.blogspot.com/

MommyOf4 (Texas, USA) was banded last March 2009 and is telling it like it is in the band world. http://mommyof4-myjourneytogettinghealthy.blogspot.com/

Ali (Nebraska, USA) was also recently banded on January 19th, 2010. http://pinkpetalsforme.blogspot.com/

Maree and Jenny (New Zealand) are two sisters that were banded on the same day in November 2009. I love NZ! http://sistersbandedtogether.blogspot.com/

Michelle (?B.C. Canada) is a mom to 6 kids. I don’t know how she does it! I think she is close to Whistler B.C. since she was given tickets to one of the Olympic Cross Country Ski events in Whistler. http://bandsterjourney.blogspot.com/

Rebekah (not sure where she is in the world) but she is searching for her inner lizard, loves math and has pink boxing gloves. She had her surgery in June 2009. http://theloosingbattle.blogspot.com/

Amanda (North Carolina, USA but moving to Colorado!!!) was one of the first people to follow me and leave such nice comments. She was banded on October 12th 2009. http://roadfromfattohealthy.blogspot.com/ . Since she is Colorado bound maybe Gen can give her some encouragement.

Sherry (also from North Carolina, USA) will be banded on March 19th, 2010. Woo Hoo. http://twosticksoralighter.blogspot.com/

Jess (California) just because I love her smile and she thinks 47F degrees is cold. http://thelittlebandit.blogspot.com/

I hope you visit these wonderful people above and leave them an encouraging comment or two. I didn’t follow the instructions to a tee, but then I have always been a rebel and bucked the system. I will complete the mission and will give you 7 interesting things about me by me:

**I was named after my cousin and was her flower girl when I was 5.

**I joined the army reserves to help pay my way through University and was a Lieutenant when I left. I was also a sharpshooter with both a rifle and sub-machine gun so don’t piss me off (just kidding—I don’t own a gun). I was in a Scottish regiment where the guys all wore kilts. The women wore pants. I think all men look amazing in a kilt. Both my hubby and 24 year old son have a kilt and love wearing it. With this firsthand experience I can definitely tell you what is worn under the kilt mostly because men don’t know how to sit like a lady!

**I know exactly where I was when President John Kennedy was killed—Grade 2, Friday November 22nd, the afternoon after recess. The entire weekend was news of his death. I also know where I was when the space shuttle Challenger exploded in January 1986 and of course the 9/11 tragedy. I know most of you may not remember the first two, but I do.

**My Best Friend is Linda and we met 37 years ago. I had to mention her because she reads this blog and I want her to know how much I appreciate her being my friend. We have gone through a lot together and we are both working on getting healthy together. Gotcha!

**When I was training to be an RN, my first patient died on me. Our first clinical was the hospital geriatric ward after two months of classes. We could only do bed baths so I was assigned this man almost comatose and breathing funny (I learned in second year that he was Cheyne-Stoking—a type of breathing that precedes death). Just as I finished the bed bath, he died. He was the cleanest dead body that ever went to the funeral home (I hope you appreciate that Gilly). Once I graduated and started working on a surgical unit and ICU, I never had one of my patients die on me when I was on shift. A few died just before I came on shift and a few died shortly after I left but I never had to deal with a dead body again. Even though I am still an RN, I now work in software development with the Federal Government. Some would say there are a few dead bodies working there. LOL

**I wanted to be Miss America when I was in my teens. I loved watching the show and imagined me being crowned. Not sure when I realized it wasn’t really possible since I weighed over 175 pounds and wasn’t an American. Oh and I don’t have a lot of talent that I could have performed on stage.

So that is me in a nutshell. A bit of a nutcase but aren’t we all. Have a wonderful weekend of healthy eating. I’m just about ready to make a nice pureed lunch.

6 comments:

Barbara said...

Wow Thanks SL.. great new blogs to check out.. love how we network/.
And wow.. you are a sharpshooting nurse.. loved reading about you..have a great weekend..

Lap Band Groupie said...

I don't know Sandra, I think the sub-machine gun would be a great Miss America talent!! Loved all the new blogs! Thanks! -BG

THE DASH! said...

Thanks for your kind words Sandy. I had you on my list of seven but in the end, did what you did. Bucked the system because I just couldn't narrow it down enough. Pooh!
What a shocker to have your first patient die. We learned all about cheyne-stock breathing so I now know what you are talking about - (plus learning about it first hand through family members...) I love that you are an RN.. I am dealing with these fab girls on a daily basis now and I know how hard they work. You're a wonderful lady. I'm going to have a look at a few new blogs. Thanks for posting the links. xxx
PS The gun story was great - gave me a laugh.

THE DASH! said...

Oops meant Cheyne-stoKing .. can't type now.. it's early. xx Have a lovely Sunday.

Girl Bandit said...

Congrats on the award...and thanks for that info on you...it was interesting. I will have to check out those blogs. Do I have to work or cook or do anything else but read blogs???? LOL

Ali said...

Thanks for the shout, I really appreciate that! Really enjoyed reading more about you! Not sure if I can come up with 7 things myself! lol.

--Ali

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...