Friday, January 22, 2010

Body Scans

Today's paper mentioned that more and more airports were installing Body Scan machines for passengers and privacy issues are being raised. Just because some guy lit his undies on fire (but I'm so glad everyone else was ok). This got me wondering how far the scan can see through the body and wondered if it could see the band wrapped around my stomach. So I googled some pictures and the first one that came up was called fatty-vs-skinny-scan. This is NOT what the airport scanner will be seeing but I thought it was really interesting. The scan on the left is of a 250 pound person and the one on the right is a 120 pound person. I noticed the "fatty" one had bent ankles. I know I am knocked knee'ed and can't put my feet together, so my scan may look similar.

The other pictures of airport body scanners look like they only see through our clothes and can't really go past the skin layer so I guess our secret is safe. Can you imagine someone wondering why we have this ring wrapped around our stomach? Thank god we don't have to "declare" the fluid as part of what we can carry on the plane, although it is still under the 4 ounces that is allowed on carry-on!

I still have a bad cold, my DH slept on the couch last night but I know I will be getting better soon in time for surgery in two weeks. Trying to stay positive.

5 comments:

Lonicera said...

No question you should feel positive Sandy Lee - it really will be the first day of the rest of your life, and you won't forget the date. I had never even been in hospital before, and can honestly say it was a doddle. The more difficult bit came later with trying to work out what foods I could eat...
Lots of luck to you.
Caroline

Gen said...

Wow what an eye opener that picture is! All that fat around the organs. Have you ever been to one of those Human Body shows at a museum? Sort of similar but they have actual cadavers showing the damage to organs, etc. from excess weight. Very interesting.

Just 2 weeks! Exciting. What is your pre-op diet like?

Gilly said...

SO interesting! But you know, searching that led me to an article about "fat on the inside", talking about how thin people aren't necessarily thin on the inside, and things like fat around your heart and liver (fat you CAN'T see) can be just as dangerous as fat on the outside! That was what motivated me during the Medi Trim stage...I just kept trying to picture my liver getting less and less fatty as they days went on. It was pretty powerful, and you'll need something powerful to motvate you during your liquid diet, trust me. Keep your nice, healthy, SHRINKING liver on your mind :)

THE DASH! said...

Look at all that cream around the organs on the bigger picture - all that fat - that's scary.. and the other skinnier one just has a little around the thighs (typical lol we never escape it no matter how thin we are!)
What a great post. Hope that cold shifts soon!!

Catherine55 said...

That photo is so interesting! Thanks for posting it. Congratulations on your upcoming surgery!! You have a lot to look forward to in the next year! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...