Sunday, December 12, 2010

Finding Christmas #4: Family and Friends

What would this time of year be without spending time with our Family and Friends. Earlier today I had my sister's family and mine over for Lunch and a Movie. My grand-nieces are both 2 years old and I don't remember it ever being so busy with little ones around. I love them dearly but I was glad to finally have everyone leave today.

We squished together to watch "A Christmas Carol", the animated one with Jim Carey in it. Great graphics. A bit scary in parts but we learned to laugh and make jokes so the little girls wouldn't get scared. We had a lovely lunch of sandwiches, salads and for dessert, I broke down and made the Toblerone Cheesecake. Man it was rich, but yummy. I couldn't even finish my piece. Love my band. And here is where we watched the movie. Love the projection screen. Everyone is so big. We will be watching lots of movies this Christmas.
Christmas Eve and Christmas Day are pretty quiet for us. Usually just the immediate family. In fact it may only be DH and myself for dinner that day. Just waiting to hear if my daughter and her BF will be joining us. Peaceful, relaxing, no frantic activity. A few years ago we changed to have hubby's family over on Boxing Day, the 26th. DH has 5 brothers, there are 4 wives, and 12 kids mostly older now. I used to cook everything but this year it will be more of a pot-luck. I'm serving lasagna and a bunch of appetizer type foods. I will ask the others to just bring something to add to the table. Funny but I don't want to make it about food. This year is getting back to basics and just enjoying family. I want to eat lots but my band says no. I haven't been stuck since before my last fill but I definitely can only eat half to one cup of food and it keeps me full for 4-5 hours. I haven't lost anymore weight this week but then the few cookies and bites of chocolate (and let's not forget the cheesecake) have slipped easily through the band. I will be content to maintain this weight until January.

And I can't leave out friends. Everyone is so busy this time of year that I rarely see any of my local friends. I am travelling to visit my BFF near Toronto. We will spend some time together and enjoy the lights and liquid enjoyment. And I am hoping to meet up with Gilly during my travels. Lets hope the weather holds out. I was watching the news and the Midwest is being pummeled with snow. We have a bit of freezing rain and they are predicting only a few inches tomorrow. South of us, they are digging out of 3-4 feet of snow.

Family and friends. Can't live with them, can't live without them. Even though it can be stressful getting together, it really is about enjoying the season. My present this year has been losing weight with the band and feeling so much better. Without it, I would still be struggling, praying for a magic diet. Someone else posted that they don't have to make the New Year's resolution to lose weight. Me either.

What a difference a year makes.

5 comments:

Linda said...

I watched that Christmas Carol with my daughter last. It was a little scary in parts, but pretty good. That cheesecake sounds wonderful. I agree that starting the New Year without thinking this year I will do something about my weight is amazing.

Bonnie said...

We saw Christmas Carol in 3D in the movies and bought it last week to watch Friday night. Even my 15 and 11 year old thought that certain parts were freaky so I can only imagine how younger kids feel. My favorite part of the holidays is the gatherings with friends and family. It's a busy time, but a lot of fun.

~Lisa~ said...

I am absolutely and thoroughly loving your "Finding Christmas" series of posts!! You're so inspirational to me, and I thank you!! Keep enjoying your holiday - and sharing!!

Thank you!!

Sam said...

I love the "Finding Christmas" posts, sounds like you really get into the season. Enjoy all the festivities :o)

Darlin1 said...

Love your posts!!

Merry Christmas XO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...